Monday, January 15, 2007

Shh!!!

I'm at home going crazy right now. My loving husband is off of work until Wednesday, and until then he's probably going to be slumming around the house making me crazy. He gets bored, watches tv. Gets antsy, walks around. Gets sick of that and goes and talks to some friends.

AHHHHHH!!!! I want to scream! I can't get anything done because I'm one of those - needs perfect silence kind of people. If there is so much as a peep I come out of my writing zone and have to start all over!

So now, here I am with great ideas and I can't even get them down because I can't think with all the noise. Where can I go? Starbucks? No. Starbucks is louder than my house. Plus, it always astounds me that people get any work done at all with all the noise.

Okay, so that's what I'm like. My sister is a nurse and is working on becoming a doctor, so school and studying are her middle name. She studies with the tv on mute, her headphones or cd player on her favourite station, while she not only types out notes, but also looks through her textbook. How? I can't answer that. She says it's because she's great at multi-tasking. Hey - I can walk and chew gum at the same time - that's multi-tasking! What she is is not normal.

I'm so tempted to grab my laptop and go write in the car... but apparently it's going to get cold tonight, so instead I'm going to watch tv with him. What else can I do? I'm going crazy!

Counting down the minutes till Wednesday morning.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I either need perfect silence to write, or have some white noise to keep the other distracting noises away. I need to be able to "hear" my characters talking so I can get their voice down on paper. So I can sympathize with getting frustrated.

Amy Ruttan said...

I write best watching TV, preferrably something that I have seen a million times before. Absolute silence drives me mental. There are times that I listen to music, now with my new laptop I am compiling lists of mood music suitable to what I am writing. Though, I don't know exactly how Eminem fits in, because Lose Yourself seems to be on most of my music mixes.

Vicky said...

Christine - It's good to know I'm not crazy - I like to believe she is. :)

Amy!
Eminem rapping in the background? -I HAVE TO read that book when it comes out! I'll follow the story, but mostly I'll be picturing you listening to him as you write it! Oh my god that is so funny! Do you ever find yourself singing along? :)